Student Rights and Responsibilities
Every student with a disability attending ÇïÏ¼Â×Àí has the following rights and responsibilities.
- Equal access to courses, programs, services, jobs, activities, and facilities available through the college
- Reasonable and appropriate accommodations determined on a individual Â basis
- Appropriate confidentiality of all information pertaining to his/her disability.
- Information reasonably available in accessible formats.
- Meet the college's admission and academic requirements
- Self-identify in a timely manner as an individual with a disability when seeking academic accommodations.
- Provide information that verifies the nature of the disability, functional limitations, and the need for specific accommodations.
- Follow specific procedures for obtaining reasonable and appropriate accommodations
ÇïÏ¼Â×Àí Rights and Responsibilities
ÇïÏ¼Â×Àí, through its Accessibility ServicesÂ has theÂ rightÂ to
- Request information from a student to support accommodation requests and plans; this may include assessments completed by an appropriate professional
- Where necessary and with studentâ€™s signed consent, discuss a student's need for reasonable accommodations with the professional source of his/her documentation
- Select among equally effective and appropriate accommodations, adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids in consultation with students with disabilities
- Deny a request for accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids if a disability-related need is not specified, information provided fails to verify the need for the requested services, or the required information is not provided in a timely manner.
- Refuse to provide an accommodation, adjustment, and/or auxiliary aids that is inappropriate or including any that:Â
Pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others; Constitute a substantial change or alteration to an essential element of a course or program; or Pose undue financial or administrative burden and hardship on the college.
ÇïÏ¼Â×Àí has theÂ responsibilityÂ to
- Maintain the college's academic standards.
- Assist students with disabilities who self-identify and meet college criteria for eligibility to receive reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustment, and/or auxiliary aids determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Ensure that college courses, programs, services, jobs, activities, and facilities are offered in the most inclusive and accessible settings.
- Provide information regarding policies and procedures to students with disabilities and assure its availability in accessible formats upon request.
- Evaluate students on their abilities, not their disabilities.
- Provide reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids for students with disabilities upon a timely request by a student.
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality of records and communication concerning students with disabilities except where disclosure is required by law or authorized by the student.Â