Applying for Your Study Permit
Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)Ìýrequires credential seeking students to hold a validÌý during their study in Canada.
- Some student from certain must also apply for aÌý
- Be sure you are aware of theÌý
- Note thatÌý is required for students from entry visa-exempt countries (except for U.S. citizens) when entering Canada by air
Study Permit Extension
If you plan to study beyond your study permitâ€™s expiry date, it is your responsibility to before it expires. Apply to extend your study permit 30-90 days before the expiry date. Do NOT let your study permit expire. We are temporarily accepting Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) letter requests if your study permit is expiring within the next 6 months due to IRCC's long processing times. To check IRCC's processing times please visit their .
You canÌýÌýthrough your personalÌýIRCC Online AccountÌýon IRCC's website. Make sure you have the required supporting documents before you sit down to complete the form. Give yourself enough time to complete and submit the application.
International Student Advising Specialists (ISASs)Ìýare available at ÇïÏ¼Â×Àí International office if you need advice on your specific situation. You can meet ISASs during theÌýdrop-insÌýor by appointment.
Maintained status (previously called implied status)
Once you have applied to extend your study permit before its expiry date, you are still considered a temporary resident of Canada even after the expiry date of your study permit. This is called . With maintainedÌýstatus, you may continue to stay and study until you receive a response from IRCC as long as you remain in Canada and continue to meet the conditions of your study permit.
Since your BC MSP will end on the expiry date of your current immigration document, you must take action to maintain health insurance coverage before your MSP expires.ÌýBC MSP announced that eligible students with maintained status may be eligible for temporary coverage for an initial six months. For more information on how to extend your BC MSP insurance, please click .
Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Extension
After you have received your new study permit, some students, depending on your home country, canÌý. Like a study permit extension, you can also apply for a TRV extension through your onlineÌýIRCC Online Account. A TRV is issued with the same expiry date as your study permit.Ìý
If you plan to leave and come back to Canada after your current TRV expiry date, start your TRV extension process in advance. IRCC advises applicants to apply at least two months in advance of a planned departure from Canada.
- If you are coming directly from a high school in Canada, you may continue studying with the same study permit if your study permit is valid. However, you must inform IRCC of your Designated Learning Institution (DLI) change. Visit the IRCC website for more information on . ÇïÏ¼Â×Àíâ€™s DLI number is O19360973702.
- If you are transferring from a post-secondary school in Canada,Ìýyou must also inform IRCC Designated Learning Institution (DLI) has changedÌý. ÇïÏ¼Â×Àíâ€™s DLI number is O19360973702.
- All Study Permit holders must actively pursue their courses or program of study while you are in Canada.