New international student checklist

college students

**Study permit confirmation is required 6-8 weeks before the first day of the semester**

** These deadlines are subject to change. Please check with DCI admissions for up-to-date information.

Study Permit:A valid study permit authorizes you to stay and study in Canada. If you are an international student, you require a valid study permit to study at ϼ.

Letter of Introduction:If this is your first time to apply for a study permit outside Canada, you will receive a Letter of Introduction when your study permit gets approved. You will need to bring the Letter of Introduction with you when you enter Canada. The Border Services officers will issue you a study permit at the port of entry. After you receive your study permit, please double check your personal information, validity, and remarks about working eligibility.

  • To apply for your study permit, visitfor eligibility details and application instructions.

  • Inform us if your study permit is approved or refused by the deadline.You must have your study permit approved at least five business days prior to the start date of your program. If you do not inform us by the deadline, you may not be eligible for a refund of your tuition and fees. Seeourrefund policy.

If you are coming directly from a high school in Canada,you should apply to change the conditions of your current study permit and receive the new study permit. Your study permit for secondary school allows you to study at the university or college level temporarily if you submit your study permitextensionapplication before its expiry. Visitfor more information.

If you are transferring from a post-secondary school in Canada,you must inform IRCC of your Designated Learning Institution (DLI) change. You do not need to apply for a new study permit. Youare allowed tocontinue with your current study permitas long asit is valid. Visitfor more information. ϼ’s DLI number is O19360973702.

If you are a one-semester exchange student,you do not require a study permit because you have been accepted into a program that is less than six months in duration.

Temporary Resident Visa:A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also known as an 'entry visa,' is used only for entry and re-entry into Canada. Only citizens of certain countries require a TRV. Find out if you need aTRV. You may be eligible to apply for your TRV with your study permit.

մ:Students from entry visa-exempt countries (except for U.S. citizens) must obtain aneTAto fly into Canada. Find moreinformation.

Co-op Work Permit: If you are accepted into a program that requires practicum/internship/working hours to graduate (such information is also mentioned in Box 24 on your Letter of Acceptance), you should apply for your co-op work permit along with your initial study permit application. For more details, please check Working as an International Student page.

New international students are automatically registered in at least 9 credits worth of appropriate courses for their first semester. Check your course schedule by logging into. If you are just starting your studies at ϼ, your first semester courses will be registered for you. Depending on when you are accepted you can choose your courses with the help of an advisor.

Don’t know how to use MyAccount? VisitourLogins & Passwordspage.

If you are not registered in at least 9 credits by the last month beforeyourfirst semester, please contact us here.

For online semesters, expect to see your classes uploaded in Blackboard by the first day of class. Sometimes courses are available sooner but dont be alarmed if you do not see you courses appear until just before your classes beginning. Be sure to spend some time within Blackboard to familiarize yourself with the different features and flow.

Add this to your bookmarks for easy access:

All international students are required to attend the New Student Orientation consisting of online workshop series and a Blackboard orientation course. Find out more about orientationhere.

You are alsowelcometo attend other college-wide orientations and new student events in addition to the Strong Start: New Student Orientation. Find out what other events you canattendhere.

All first semester students are automatically enrolled inGuard.Mecoverage until you are eligible forBC. This usually takes about 3 months. If you haveMSPyou can opt out after stable enrolment.Guard.Me will sendcommunicationaboutyour coverage once the semester starts. You should applyforBC MSP when you arrive in Canada.

Learn more about medical insurance in BC here.

If you need moreinformationplease contact us.

Visit Travelling to Canada page for all up-to-date information in regards to your travel to Canada.

All students are expected to attend their first class of the semester for each course. If you will miss your first class or first few classes and have NOT notified your instructor, you maylooseyour seat in that class.See full detailsonourAttendance Policy.It is your responsibility to inform your instructor prior to your absence. You can find your instructors’ email address in the Faculty Directory orunder "Detail Course Schedule".

Purchase your textbooks as soon as possible. Notall ofyour textbooks will be available electronically. Contact the for more information.

Many international students plan to live inhomestayorrent their own places. Find out how you can prepare youraccommodation in Vancouver.

ϼ has three campuses: New Westminster Campus, Anvil Centre Campus and David Lam Campus (Coquitlam Campus).

Be sure to double check all important dates and deadlines foreach semester here.

NOTE: Deposit fees for the first 12 credits are non-refundable. Add / Drop / Refund policies do not apply to your tuition deposit for your first 12 credits. You can view the refund information for first semester international students here.

  • Sign Up for the DCI Mentorship Program!For more information click here.
  • Request your student ID card(Passport is required)
  • Upload your StudyPermit .
  • Get a Compass card from a
  • Buy your textbooks (Find your Booklist on your )
  • Apply for
  • Update your contact information (local address, phone, email) on
  • Open a bank account
  • Register for workshops
  • Mark important dates and deadlinesinyour planner/calendar.
Register for the Strong Start: New Student Orientation workshops and Blackboard course.
Check out Strong Start

Contact Information

Have questions or need more information?