Practicums provide students with the opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge in specific child and youth care settings.ÌýPracticums are a vital part of the Child and Youth Care program.ÌýThe CYC program at ÇïÏ¼Â×Àí has over 150 connections with organizations and programs throughout the Metro Vancouver area, and beyond.
Benefits of practicums include:
- connect classroom learning with hands-on experience
- gain real-world skills
- try out different settings and specialties
- meeting professionals in your industry
- potential job opportunities post graduation
Where do I take my practicums?
Placements are selected based on your interests and learning needs, subject to available sites. Examples of types of placements include:
- group homes
- transition houses
- community centres
- programs for street-involved youth
- government offices
- addictions services
Check out our CYC Practicum Profile Information Booklet
How long are practicums?
- ±Ê°ù²¹³¦³Ù¾±³¦³Ü³¾ÌýCYCC 1240 and CYCC 2440, 150 hours each
- full-time over a 5 week period during the winter term of year 1 and year 2
- part-time students 12 - 15 hours a week over the course of term
Resources for CYC Practicum Supervisors
- CYC Practicum Supervisor Orientation Video Series
- CYC Practicum Supervisor Orientation Video Series Recommended ResourcesÌý