About the Program
ÇïÏ¼Â×Àí is the only public institution to offer a full-time Advanced Opticianry program in B.C.
- The two-year program runs 8 1/2 months for the first year, and 8 months for second year.
- Classes are offered for both years, 3 days per week.
- If you complete the CMNS 1111 communications course before beginning the program, you will lighten your course load for the first year Fall Semester
- Graduates are sought after by employers.Â StudentsÂ often find work in the fieldÂ during the programÂ or within 3 months of program completion.
- The most unique parts of our program are the hands-on labs and clinical work practicums.
- Our program provides training in eyeglass, contact lens fitting and automated refraction. This training allows you to work in a variety of settings, including independent retail and chain stores, optometrists' offices, ophthalmologists' offices and laser clinics. You may choose to work as a lab technician or supplier representative for optical, contact lenses or solution suppliers. You may even decide to open your own business.
- Students wishing to further their education have the opportunity to do so through our articulation agreement with Thompson Rivers University to obtain a Bachelor of Health Science OR Bachelor of General Studies.
- Average wage for an optician is $21+ per hour, with earning potential upwards of $85,000+ per year.
Our first year eyeglass students and second year contact lens students work on lab projects for approximately 240 hours per year, in a supervised, state of the art lab. The lab classes consist of demonstrations, lectures and related assignments, in addition to practical experience in the retail Vision Centre
Practicum sites off campus have to be approved by our faculty, and all practicum supervisors must complete a training course to qualify. These sites are supervised by our faculty through regular visits. Students often get hired by their practicum placement, or at very least can obtain a work reference for future employment.