Test accommodations are when you use accommodations to write a quiz, test, mid-term, or final exam. Accommodations are changes in when, where, or how you complete the test. Some examples of test accommodations include:
- Alternate Format ÔÇô such as audio, e-text, or large print
- Extended Time ÔÇô additional time to complete a test
- Distraction Reduced ÔÇô tests are booked in a room where visual and auditory distractions are reduced
- Technology ÔÇô use of computer, calculators, spell-check, or specific software
- Reader or Scribe ÔÇô a technology or person who reads a test aloud or writes your responses
Once you have met with your Accessibility Specialist and have been granted testing accommodations please proceed in following the below steps to request to write with Accessibility Services.
You, your instructor, and Accessibility Services all work together to schedule and support your tests when you are using accommodations. Accommodated tests written on campus are booked through the╠ř If you have questions or require support in using the online Student Portal please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Prior to Each Test
Step 1: Submit an online test request in the for each test you intend to write in Accessibility Services.
- If accommodations are required for any╠řmid-term or quiz, the deadline to complete the╠řonline request╠řis╠řat least 5-business days before the date of the test.
- If accommodations are required for╠řfinal exams for the Fall 2023 semester, the deadline to complete the╠řonline request╠řis Thursday, November 23, 2023. ╠ř
- Your instructor will receive notification of your request, and will note any specifications, restrictions or allowances (e.g., closed book, use of a cheat sheet, use of calculator) that you must adhere to when writing the test.
- If you miss a test request deadline, you lose your entitlement to accommodation for that test.╠řYou will be expected to write the test under standard test conditions with your class.
- In situations where your instructor has approved you to write after the class has written, please contact our office to arrange for your booking.
Step 2: Confirm Test Date, Time and Locations
Accommodated tests are administered in Accessibility Services, which is located at S2680 at the New Westminster campus and A1050 at the Coquitlam Campus. Use the "My Upcoming Events" section of the online to review the date and start time of your upcoming test(s). Always double-check your test dates, times and location to confirm that all details are correct and all accommodations are in place.
During Your Test
Step 3:╠řThe Day of Quiz/Test/Final Exam
When you arrive at our office, make sure you bring your student ID card and all approved materials you will require during the test.╠řWe ask that you strictly adhere to your test start time and ensure that you arrive at our offices 15 minutes early for check-in. You will be asked to store all non-approved materials (including backpacks, jackets, cell phones (turned off or on silent), hats, etc.) in a locker for the duration of your test.
Please review the Test Procedures Guidelines prior to writing your test with our office.
All students are required to submit a request to write their tests via the . Please follow the steps below:╠ř
- Log into the╠ř╠ř
- Select the course that you have a test in╠ř
- If your instructor has already entered the test details, you should see the date and time that your class is writing the test╠ř
- If your instructor has not yet entered the test details, you will need to enter the date of the╠řclass╠řtest, the time that your class is starting the test, and how long your class has to write the test. Please note that you are entering the╠řclass test╠řinformation. The╠řportal will determine how long you have to write the test if you have extended time╠ř
- You can confirm that your request╠řhas╠řbeen successfully submitted by checking the Upcoming Events tab. You should see your test with the status listed as ÔÇťTentativeÔÇŁ
Once we have received your test request╠řand╠řthe test details from your instructor, we will schedule a time for you to write your test and send you and your╠řinstructor an email confirmation.╠řIf you have not received an email confirmation from us, you are not scheduled to write your test╠řwith our office.╠řYou can view the status of your test requests by checking the Upcoming Events tab in the student portal. Any tests that have been scheduled will have a status listed as ÔÇťBookedÔÇŁ.╠ř
If you received a test cancellation notice from our office╠řit╠řis because we have not received all of the necessary information required from your instructor to administer your test. We recommend connecting with your instructor about next steps (i.e.╠řrescheduling a time╠řto write╠řwith╠řAccessibility Services╠řor╠řasking╠řif╠řyour instructor╠řwill accommodate you at a different time).╠ř╠ř
If you have a conflict in your╠řschedule,╠řplease contact our office either in-person (NW room S2680 or COQ A1050), or by email at╠řasexams@douglascollege.ca.╠řPlease do not book a different date than the class to write, notify us of the conflict.╠ř╠ř
We have information on our website to support you using the portal. Please check out:╠ř╠ř
If you still require╠řsupport,╠řcontact our office for support either in-person╠ř(NW room S2680 or COQ A1050)╠řor via e-mail╠řasexams@douglascollege.ca╠ř
If you are interested in adding additional accommodations to your plan you will be required to meet with your╠řAccessibility Specialist to discuss your plan. Please book an appointment with our receptionist to meet with your Accessibility Specialist.╠řContact Us
If you are ill an unable to take your╠řtest,╠řplease notify both our office (email@example.com)╠řand╠řyour instructor. We follow your instructorÔÇÖs╠řcourse╠řpolicy regarding illness. If your instructor╠řapproves╠řfor you to write at a later time connect with our Facilitators╠řeither in-person or via e-mail╠řto╠řreschedule your test.
As we support many students with test accommodations the advance notice gives us enough time to ensure we have an available space for you,╠řthat╠řyour test is accommodated to match your accommodation needs,╠řand provides instructors enough time to get us the necessary information we require.
The test time or date that populates when you go into the portal should be the date & time the instructor has indicated. There may be times where a student has entered a wrong class test time into╠řthe portal. Please only enter in when╠řyour class╠řis writing their test. If you require to write on an alternate date/time please contact our office╠řto arrange that.╠řPlease note,╠řyou are still required to contact our office in advance of the 5-business day window╠řif you want to write your test with our office.╠ř╠ř
You may receive an error message when booking your test for the following reasons:╠ř╠ř
- You have╠řback-to-back╠řclasses and the system cannot find an available time for you to write.╠ř╠ř
- Your╠řwriting time conflicts with our╠řoperational hours.╠ř╠ř
- You are taking╠řan online class.╠ř
- You do not have testing accommodations.╠ř
- The scheduling of your program shows you taking multiple courses at the same time.╠ř
- You are trying to book a test within the 5-business day window.╠ř
If you receive an error message in the Student Portal it will prompt you to contact our office.╠řPlease note,╠řyou are still required to contact our office in advance of the 5-business day window if you want to write your test with our office.
If you have╠řback-to-back╠řclasses the╠řsystem will search for the next available time. If an error message pops up or you have a conflict for the time that is╠řlisted,╠řplease contact our office for support.╠řPlease note,╠řyou are still required to contact our office in advance of the 5-business day window if you want to write your test with our office.╠ř
It is the responsibility of the student to request their test with advance notice to our office. If you miss the 5-day booking window you lose your entitlement to accommodation for that test and will be expected to take your test under standard testing conditions╠řwith your class.╠řInstructors may provide approval╠ř(depending on their course policy)╠řfor you to write after the class has written, in those situations please contact our office to arrange an alternative test sitting.╠ř
To schedule your final exams, please complete the following steps:
- Go to the╠ř╠řand log in with your ă´¤╝┬Î└Ý student number and password
- Select the╠řÔÇťSchedule a Final ExamÔÇŁ╠řtab and follow the steps.
- You must write your exam on the same date and time as your class.╠ř If your class is writing outside of our operating hours (M-F 8:30am-4:30pm), please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are not able to approve requests to write exams on a different day than the class.╠ř If you need to request to write your exam on a different date due to conflicts with another exam, please contact your instructor.
- When you have successfully submitted your exam request, you will receive a confirmation message. If you receive an error message, please email us at email@example.com immediately.
- Confirm bookings by selecting the ÔÇťMy Upcoming EventsÔÇŁ option. ╠řYou should see your exams listed with a status of ÔÇťTentativeÔÇŁ. When we schedule your exams, we will send you a confirmation email and the exam status in the online portal will change to ÔÇťBookedÔÇŁ.
Deadline to book your final exam for the Fall 2023╠řsemester is Thursday, November 23,╠ř2023.
Students who are unable to write with us on the day of their test are expected to notify our office. If you miss a╠řtest,╠řit is your responsibility to notify your instructor and╠řdiscuss their╠řpolicy for missed tests. If your instructor approves you to write your test at a later╠řdate with our╠řoffice,╠řplease connect with our Facilitators to arrange this.╠ř╠ř