This course is designed for postgraduate Veterinary Technologists/ Technicians/ Nurses (National and International) working in small animal practice.
This is the final course in the Veterinary Anesthesia Refresher Certificate and consists of a 4 day in person wet lab.
- Course Content
- Instruction Method
- Learning Resources
- Completion Timeframe
- Tuition & Fees
- Upcoming Dates
By the end of this course, students will demonstrate the ability to:
- Use, maintain, leak test, and troubleshoot common anesthetic equipment
- Troubleshoot common monitoring equipment
- Choose appropriate anesthetic protocols for selected patients
- Accurately calculate drug doses for routine anesthetic protocols
- Safely and efficiently intubate a model patient
- Correctly and accurately complete anesthetic monitoring sheets, controlled drug logs and medical records
- Safely demonstrate dental blocks, line block, testicular block, ring block
- Safely administer and monitor anesthetics in dogs and cats
- Predict, recognize and/or treat anesthetic complications and emergencies
- Apply protocols for CPR to a cardiac arrest simulation
- Work as part of a team and effectively communicate with team members
Synchronous, in person wet lab
To pass the lab course, students must successfully demonstrate mastery of the skills.
- Admission to the Veterinary Anesthesia Refresher Certificate.
- Successful completion of VTAN 1000, VTAN 1100, and VTAN 1200 or;
- Successful final exam challenge. Contact the CEHS department for more information.
Minimum grade to pass is B (75%).
All resources are provided within the course. There are no additional textbooks required.
24 hours (4 days).
Tuition & Fees
- June 18-21, 2024 (tentative, subject to change)
Location: ÇïÏ¼Â×Àí Coquitlam Campus
1250 Pinetree Way, Coquitlam, BCÌýV3B 7X3
Registration deadline: May 1, 2024.Ìý
June 2023 lab cancelled due to low registration.Ìý
Registration information will be provided to eligible participants upon successful completion of VTAN 1200.Ìý
NOTE: The wet lab requires six (6) registrants to run.Ìý If there are not enough registrants, the wet lab will be postponed.